Sunday, May 21, 2023

Deep South Day One

Paul and I arrived at the Pioneer office at around 6:45AM this morning.  He was impressed with the weight of my suitcase and I was impressed with his early-bird award.  We had another hour and fifteen minutes until our scheduled departure but at least he had lots of time to lug my luggage tonnage to the bus.  The bus that was still parked inside the garage.

It was raining and chilly for the first several hours until, suddenly, we were in sunshine.  I’ve been so busy these past few weeks I haven’t even had time to anticipate this trip.  But I can feel myself unwinding with every mile south.

This winter has had its challenges.  Paul left for Florida in mid-February and I followed early in March.  But not before breaking and severely spraining my left foot.  Stepping crooked off an invisible step at top speed is not something I’d recommend.  I seem to have a propencity for this since it is the second time I’ve done.  Same foot with similar results. When I finally got to Florida I spent five weeks relaxing, putting puzzles together, playing cards with friends, and gaining weight.

Back home in mid-April it was time to hit the ground running (or in my case, lumbering along as fast as I could limp) trying to accomplish as much as possible in the month leading up to our annual Bus Trip.  A 50th birthday party for a sister-in-law, a reunion with my nine remaining siblings, the unexpected death of a cousin who was my age, catching up at work, and a whole passel of other things added up to some hectic, fun, bittersweet, sad, memorable, and exhausting few weeks.

So now I’m on the bus and my mind is still racing with the things I feel like I’ve neglected or forgotten to do.

This year’s group is quite a bit different from other years.  For one thing, about half of my fellow travelers are people I don’t know.  Yet.  On previous bus trips I knew most of those riding along.  But, as is inevitable, life brings a lot of changes and things here are no exception.  Since our first trip together to the Canadian Rockies over a decade ago, the dynamic has shifted considerably.  We are missing several who have gone on a much grander journey without us.  Mose, Mary, Elsie, Crist, Cal, and Noah are undoubtedly seeing things right now that we can’t even imagine. Others are facing health challenges that make travel difficult.  Some have scheduling conflicts and family commitments.  So it feels different and I miss all of them but I look forward to making new friends this week.

Our 2021 trip was a post-COVID experience.  Much of the country was getting back to normal but many places were still closed down.  We kept our masks handy for when they were required, we were thankful for every place that let us breathe fresh air, and we washed our hands a lot.  Even so, by the time we got home a number of people were sick and had to face the joys of the plague in the days that followed, vaccination status not-withstanding.  But I guess that would be a subject for a whole other blog. Paul and I both had our bout of the virus in late 2020, each simultaneously experiencing about three weeks of misery so we felt confident we were immune and would not have another round and we were right.  Neither one of us got sick, Thank God.

So now we start out on another journey and who knows what all we will experience along the way?

We were traveling down I-65 when our tour guide, Martha pointed out the Esh Family Memorial beside the highway.  On a grassy knoll it stood, a silent sentinel, reminding us of the tragic accident that took place during Easter week of 2010.  Eleven people died instantly when a tractor trailer, out of control, went left of center and hit the Esh van head-on.  Nine members of the family, a friend traveling along, and the driver of the truck were taken out of this world in the blink of an eye.  It shocked the country, the sheer violence and the inescapability of the fragility of life in the face of such massive colliding forces.  Conversely, two small children survived with barely a scratch.

Today was mostly a travel day.  A quick stop for a fast food lunch and then a late afternoon drive through the majestic Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN.  They boast 2,888 rooms, 220 suites, and 15 restaurants. Tonight there are only five vacancies.  At over $600.00 per night they are pulling in some nice change.  We discussed taking the five rooms and divvying them up between us but decided to stick with our reservation in Columbia, SC.

We reached today’s destination around 5:30 PM Tennessee time so it was an early evening and I, for one, was glad of it.  I’ve been going full steam ahead for too long and it will take me a few early nights to recover.  And my springtime allergies have sprung into full bloom so I look like I’m weeping half the time. After supper at the restaurant next door I plan to fall into the very inviting bed and pass out til morning.

The nearest eatery was just across the parking lot and Paul and I were both hungry so off we went.  More than a few of us ended up there, sitting with whoever still had room at their table.  We ate with Mel, a single gentleman from our area back home.  The waitress was efficient but we didn’t quite speak the same language.  Even though I am sure both of us were born and raised in this country. I asked what vegetables they have since I was allowed two with my meal.  She just looked at me.  I asked again.  Same look.  Third time. . .I picked up the menu and read through all the side dishes, zeroing in on the vegetables, picking the first on the list, no longer caring what it was but just wanting it to be resolved.  Why is it I always want to burst into hysteria at such times?  But I restrained not wanting my peals of laughter to cause “the look” again.  She was actually quite nice; I think she just didn’t understand what I wanted of her.  After all, “what vegetables do you have?” could mean so many things.

The food came quickly, it was hot and tasty, and the fried green tomatoes were a new experience for Paul and Mel.  The cornbread was not like any I’d ever had.  It was flat like a pancake and fried crispy.  Not my favorite but very edible.  All in all a good experience.

And now for that bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment