Sunday, September 30, 2018

Colorado Day Six


This morning our destination was Molly Kathleen’s gold mine.  I woke with a headache and opted not to join the group heading down into the dark underground.  One thousand feet down they went and all the reassurances in the world did not make me feel inclined to join them. “It’s only two minutes down,” they said.  “It’s only crammed during the elevator ride!” they said.  “We only had to put our hands in the air that one time, to get more people in,” they said.  Sorry. You lost me at “two minutes down.” I don’t like small spaces on a good day.  Today, with a head that feels thick and wooly and throbbing, I’m doing everyone a favor by staying up top.

Paul went along and loved it.  He took a lot of pictures per my request and told me all about it when he came back.  The only thing that really sticks with me is that they kept donkeys down there to help with the work of mining, some of them born there and never seeing the light of day their whole lives.  They had stables and all, way down there in the dark.  The government finally put a stop to that, saying they had to bring them up at least once a day.  Well, in the way that politicians have, that turned into a disaster too.  The poor beasts did not tolerate the up and down trip well, and since they had never seen sunshine before, their poor eyes couldn’t handle the light and they went stone cold blind. To this day wild donkeys roam free around on top of the mine and they are thought to be the descendants of those left behind by miners more than a century ago.


I did find out a little bit about Mary Catherine Gortner, for whom the mine is named.  Known as Mollie, she moved her family west and one day when she was out hunting elk she got winded and sat down for a rest.  She looked around while she was sitting there and what should she spy but a rock run through with gold.  Since the place was crawling with prospectors she surreptitiously slipped it into a pocket and kept quiet about it until she was able to file a claim.  The prospecting office said a woman couldn’t own a mine but wonder of wonders Mollie Catherine’s husband just happened to be a lawyer. 

Use your imagination to fill in the blanks but, yes, this was the first gold mine owned and operated by a woman, even though the National Geographic listed the owner as a MR. M C Gortner.  It was in operation until the 1960s, long after Mollie’s death, eventually closing as a mine but remaining open for tours. The mining and tours had operated simultaneously for years due to the high demand from people wanting a first-hand look at how gold was wrested from the earth. The closing of the Carlton Mill in 1961 left all the mines in the area with no way to process their ore leaving them little choice but to close down.


Mining was a dangerous job but the wages of $3.00-4.00 per day found many men willing to risk their lives and over the course of the mine’s operations many thousands died.  The deadliest year, 1907, ended the lives of 3,442 souls.  Fortunately, it is safer today.  We drove past the Newmont Mine, still taking out $1 million a day.

We left the mine at Cripple Creek and drove through Victor, another mining town that still bore the signs of the old west even though modernization was evident as well. It wasn’t hard to imagine how it was a century ago; the lives lived here were hard and life was cheap, valued only as long as you could produce more than you demanded in care and cost.  Times have changed, I think.


Our next destination, I was looking forward to: finally seeing the Royal Gorge and crossing the bridge.  Several of us were hoping to zip-line across.  I had been struggling with a headache all day but decided that I might never have a chance like this again so I decided to join them.  Unfortunately, the zip-line was shut down due to high winds so that was that.

After lunch ($3.49 for a bottle of water!!) we decided to take the trolley across the chasm and as I crawled in beside Paul, Dave called across the barrier separating us, asking if I was prayed up.  “Yes,” I called back, “I’m prayed up!” 

“Oh good, she’s prayed up,” said a big, tough, macho-looking man sitting across from us in the tiny little cab that was dangling from a cable stretched across the canyon.  I told him he was responsible for his own “praying up.”  I’m not sure how the lady beside him had convinced him to take the ride because he was obviously not too happy about it but he laughed nervously.  They kept discussing whether it was 2400 feet down and 1000 across or vice versa.  I told him I don’t think it will make any difference whether it’s 1000 feet deep or 2400.  Either way we’re dead if it falls.  Yep, I’m probably not the person you want when you need reassurance while you’re dangling over the abyss.  I’d rather do this any day than go into the deep, dark bowels of the earth, into a cave where one little earthquake could slowly crush the life out of you. 

We made it across just fine and walked a spell until we reached the bridge.  The wind had definitely picked up and we stopped frequently to enjoy the view below.  A sign forbidding “fishing from the bridge” inspired some comment.  I’m still not sure if it was a joke or not.  I kept watching people swinging over the canyon on a huge swing and I knew if I didn’t do it I’d always wish I had.  But I didn’t want to go alone.  It took me about ten minutes to find two other people willing to go along.
When we were securely (we hoped) harnessed in, Pearl informed me that she would never forgive the person responsible for getting her into this.  Merv, on the other side of me said he hoped his heart could handle it.  “Do you have heart problems??!” I asked him anxiously.  They were already pulling us upward and there was no way out now.

“No.” He laughed at my panicky voice.  “My heart’s fine.”  Wow. Way to give me a heart attack before we ever set sail.  And WOW what a rush it was!  The view was spectacular.  And Pearl forgave me before we were even unstrapped from our gear.  We were laughing about the whole experience all the way back to the bus.  And my headache was gone.  Well, pretty much.

We drove several more hours through scenery that left us without adequate words to express our feelings. The aspens were everything I imagined they would be. Winding our way through rock canyons we eventually reached a one-hundred mile long valley with the “longest straight stretch of highway in Colorado.”  The valley was fifty miles wide ringed by mountain ranges on both sides.  The only thing indicating how far one could see were the numerous farms dotting the landscape looking about the size of pinheads. Herds of antelope ran free, helping themselves to the sagebrush coating mile after mile of the flat valley floor.  We could see green patches where irrigation had taken place in the middle of the wilderness.  And hayfields, huge hayfields, the tractors looking like toys as they crawled along cutting and baling.

We stopped for the night in Alamosa.  The hotel had wine, cheese, and crackers waiting for us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment