Thursday, June 25, 2015

Idaho, 2015, Day Two

Today we reached Branson by early afternoon, in time to take in a few shows.  The weather was sunny but blisteringly hot and I thought back to the days of traveling in the back of my parents' Volkswagen Bug, sans a/c and being thankful when I wasn’t relegated to a pillow on top of the emergency brake between the two front seats.  

We were cruising past the Orange Blossom Hotel and wheeled in to check out their claims of clean and inexpensive rooms.  They were, so we booked two for tonight and since we were there in the flesh with written confirmations in hand, I felt confident we wouldn’t have a repeat of last night. 

Yesterday I had found a hotel online, a super good deal through Priceline.  Immediately after receiving a confirmation email via my phone, we pulled off our exit and within five minutes were at the hotel. I was exclaiming over the futuristic feel of managing our itinerary by phone when, "We’re full,” the young lady behind the counter tells Paul.  He shows her the phone confirmation and she proceeds to make calls trying to find us a room elsewhere.  It ended well for us though.  She decided to give us two rooms since we were there first and said she'd deal later with the poor schmucks who also thought they had reservations but hadn't arrived yet. (My words, not hers). Wade and Barbara were even given a three-room suite.  I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the people who might not have a room when they arrived and for the clerk when she had to explain it to them.

With our hotel secured for tonight we were off to our first show, Pierce Arrow.  The singing group, not the car.

The comedian claimed his name was Gene Pool.  “Nobody gets that,” he says.  And the way he says it, it’s funny. The music was pretty good, a mixture of Gatlin Brothers, Oak Ridge Boys, Eagles, and gospel songs.  And most important of all the air-conditioning was in fine working order.  I left during the last song to beat the bathroom mob and found the brochure rack in the lobby while I was waiting on the others to exit.  There I discovered that there ia a Sight and Sound in Branson.

Wade and Barbara had never been to a Sight and Sound production and after hearing that I’d really like to go see the current one, Jonah, they were game.  Paul, having been to several before, was enthused as well.  We were not disappointed.  Amazing sets, great music, and an inspirational story combined to provide us with a memorable end to our second day out.

On the way back to our hotel we stopped for some frozen custard, fresh blackberries included.  Yum.  I’m glad I packed some roomy clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment