Friday, August 9, 2013

Bus Trip, Day One

We've never gone on an extended bus trip before.  I mean, isn't that for the geriatric set? And we're, well, ahem, uh, we're still young.  But when our friends (who just happen to own a bus line) asked us to join them and their extended family on a trip to the Canadian Rockies, even Paul couldn't refuse.  He who had always declared he would not consider such a thing just told me a few minutes ago that he was quite enjoying himself.  And so am I.  I brought some of my own family along.  My brother, his wife, and two of my sisters.  Since they all live quite a distance from us it's a little family reunion wrapped in a trip.

We left before 7:00 this morning for a day filled with conversation and much laughter.  It helped that we know most of the people on the bus.  Even though we're not "blood" they made us feel at ease and welcome.  And Paul is finding out how nice it is to simply climb on board and not worry about a thing.  No crazy GPS to tell us to "make a u-turn" as she recalculates.  No decisions on which hotel to book and where to eat.  It's all taken care of.  And the whole lot of us are involved in a scavenger hunt which I have no hope of winning but which I find highly entertaining none-the-less.

Six of us were seated around a stone table outside a restaurant called Culver's, enjoying a delightful supper, when someone said, "Is that a white limousine?"   All heads in earshot turned to the vehicle in question, including, I'm sure, the people who were not on our bus.

"It is! It's a limo!" Someone else shouted.  "Awesome!" said another.  "Yes!  A limo!  A WHITE limo!" The high level of excitement told the people at the next table we didn't get out much.  One would have thought we were on a mission to catch a rare sighting of an endangered species.  Well, we were, kind of.  It is one of the things on our scavenger hunt list and it's not like we're headed for LA or something.  I mean, we're in Wisconsin in the middle of farm country. And what's more fun than knowing you're confirming your insanity to people you'll never see again anyway?!  The bumblebee in the flowering bushes and the crow descending from a nearby tree brought forth similar excitement. 

Having been awake since around three AM, and edging ever closer to the "geriatric" genre myself, I knew an early night was my lot.  Paul still hasn't returned from the rowdy card games ensuing in the hotel lobby/breakfast room.  I'll have to hear about it in the morning.

Tomorrow there's a tour scheduled at a nearby farm to learn more about artificial insemination.  I'm passing on that one.  And then it's on to the corn palace.  I have no idea what that is but by tomorrow night I will.  I may even score some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment