Saturday, March 9, 2013

Florida, 2013

So it's already day seven of this vacation and I've only managed to write about it once.  It's just that we are way too busy having fun!  And I haven't even been to the beach yet.  I can't remember ever being in Florida for a whole week without being to the beach.  But it's just been too cold.  I'm not complaining though. I don't think I've seen this much sunshine since the last time I was here.

My cousin Dan has faithfully, per my request, convinced me to walk the bridge connecting Sarasota to Bird Key with him on a daily basis.  Or, if not the bridge, then a place called The Mound.  A very large "mound" of dirt, seeded with grass and set aside as a bird sanctuary.  From the top one can see for miles in all directions.  I'm counting on Dan to see that I arrive back home fit and weighing less than when I got here.  So far the odds aren't in his favor.  The calories I've taken in since my arrival defy description.

Two days ago we went to the famous Strawberry Festival in Plant City, Florida.  There we gorged ourselves on, what else, strawberry shortcake and strawberry-filled donuts.  With the unusual cold this past week and with a stiff breeze blowing we were all glad for whatever jackets and sweaters we had along.

Between eating episodes we checked out the many booths displaying a wide variety of things from whirlpool tubs to homemade jewelry.  There were also many entertainers to choose from.  Some, like the talented Mel Tillis were worth the time.  Others, well, this festival is as far up the ladder as they are likely to go.  But it's all good.  There's nothing better than rural America at it's finest.

Yesterday we joined the crowds in Pinecraft bidding farewell to folks returning to their homes in the chilly north after their time in the sun.  Pioneer Trails managed to make it look easy with four huge motor coaches leaving at the same time.  Many gathered to say good-bye or just to watch the fun.  The really big buses were parked side-by-side in a small church lot that I would never have thought big enough to hold them; the drivers pulled out smoothly without running over anyone.

Today we went to the Arcadia Rodeo.  This was my kind of entertainment.  Starting with six and seven-year-olds bareback riding on wooly little sheep and ending with the bull-riders who obviously have a death-wish.  There was barrel racing, steer-wrestling and of course the clown.  With a sold out crowd it was loud, fun, patriotic, and refreshing.  

When all the little kids were called into the arena a crowd of at least a hundred gathered.  Then some calves with bandanas tied to their tails were let loose amongst the children.  The object of this game?  Get the bandanas off the calves.  Well mayhem reigned, the kids had fun, the calves, not so much.  I found it a little sad that I was more impressed this is still allowed in this litigious society than I was with the actual game at hand.  And I couldn't help but wonder what unhappy individual would make it a thing of the past.

The best part of this week has been the time spent with family and friends.  I am blessed to have cousins that would make a shipwreck a fun time.  As long as we could manage to get to land in one piece of course.

Well, I must be off.  Paul had just made more strawberry shortcake which requires eating.



No comments:

Post a Comment