Sunday, April 15, 2012

Arizona, Days Four and Five

On day four of our Great Adventure we slept in, or I should say I slept in.  Paul doesn't sleep in.  He is one of those people who can bounce out of bed in the morning, all cheery and annoying.  I need time.  Lots of it.  And coffee.  Lots of it.

About an hour away, on the other side of Phoenix, lives Paul's niece.  I believe I mentioned in a long-ago blog that we have family in virtually every corner of the globe.  So of course we wanted to visit and she graciously made us feel most welcome.


Janice took us to Betty's Nosh Mushroom Bar.  An Excellent choice.  We dined on delectable stuffed mushrooms and caught up on years of happenings in her life and ours.  She offered to play chauffeur when we left for the airport to pick up more family, this time my brother and his wife arriving from Virginia. 

After the airport, it was off to The Cheesecake Factory where pastry indulgences bordering on the sinful found their way into our digestive systems.  My Facebook friends accuse me of doing little else on vacation but eat.  I admit it is at the top of my list.  There are few things more enjoyable than enjoying delicious food with those we love.  Anyone who adheres to a diet on vacation should not go on vacation.  But I digress. . .

Having left the cold blustery winds of Ohio behind for the warmth and sunshine of the southwest, our moods kept pace with the climate.  We strolled down well-lit sidewalks, filled with other pedestrians out enjoying a lovely Saturday evening about town and we knew, as my granddaughter loves to say, this is the life.

Easter Sunday found us heading north with my brother John and his wife. This may have been the only Easter ever I was not in church celebrating the resurrection of Jesus.  I have learned worship and celebration are not restricted to a building or place.  In fact, experiencing the beauty of God's creation can be its own worship experience from time to time. 

The plan was to tour the Hoover Dam on Monday before turning east toward the Grand Canyon.  We stayed the night in Kingman, the last town of any significant size between Phoenix and the dam. When we asked the waitress at the local diner what she would recommend in the area for sightseeing she assured us there was nothing to see.  I remain convinced there was plenty but her jaded outlook prevented her from seeing anything of interest around her.  Probably the same way I tend to be in my hometown, which, by the way, happens to be one of the most popular tourist destinations in Ohio.

Janice had told us to search out the historical section of downtown; it would be a great place to stroll about, stop for a drink, enjoy the architecture and scenery.  We drove aimlessly about for an hour with no luck and had pretty much concluded that this city had no downtown and maybe the waitress knew what she was talking about.  Since it was Sunday, the tourist bureau was closed along with many other businesses so we overcame our boredom with banana splits from Sonic and plans for an early start the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment