Friday, August 5, 2011

Bike Trip Continued

I'm sitting in the most idyllic spot imaginable. Well, close to it anyway. My sister Barbara's porch. White rockers surrounded by potted plants with a gurgling fountain, birds singing, cicada's buzzing, the warm breeze wafting through - what more could I ask for? Flower beds in front of the porch are filled with a riotous perfusion of colors. And I'm looking through the trees to mountains just over the ridge. Yes, idyllic is the word.

Since everyone else left to go shopping, or some such thing, I decided to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee in solitude. I need that every once in awhile. Probably because I spent a lot of my childhood alone. Yes, I had ten brothers and sisters, but as the tag-along baby of the family, I was raised more like an only child than as part of a boisterous brood of siblings. While I was often lonely and I still love to have frequent interaction with friends and family, I also treasure alone time. If I don't get it when I need it, I find I get increasingly testy. So this morning Paul was more than happy to go off without me to let me transform back into the laid-back, even-tempered, happy-go-lucky woman all my friends know and love. Yes, I can hear all the snorting already.

Our vacations frequently involve visits with out-of-town relatives, most of whom expect us to take advantage of their unmatched hospitality. This is actually known as "Mennoniting your way" across the country. It's a great way to catch up with loved ones we see all too seldom, and it's also a great way to save money. Since we left home five days ago, three different families, one from WV, one from WY, and one from OH have spent a night or two at our house. Another, from SC, is arriving there tonight and all of them would gladly return the favor if we are ever in need of a place to stay.

We stopped two days ago to visit my brother Sam who lives with his lovely wife Sarah in a cabin in the mountains of WV. After feasting off a meal far better than any served in the restaurants we've sampled of late, Sam played some music for us using a common hand saw and a violin bow. Amazing! Paul pulled out his guitar and a music-fest followed.

Yesterday we arrived in Petersburg to visit my sister Barbara. Later in the evening we drove further to visit my sister Elizabeth who lives with her husband James on the top of the world. Really. We drove for quite a spell on winding blacktop, and I use that term loosely - extreme hairpin curves would be more accurate, until we came to a gravel road. Single-lane,no guard rails. Some distance further we arrived at a beautiful cottage with a view people would pay millions to have. They live off the grid but in total comfort. We were met by a friendly collie while riding horses grazed nearby and a small herd of goats kept the grass manageable. Hummingbirds virtually swarmed one of the many feeders and birdsong replaced the roar of traffic I am accustomed to.

My brother John and his wife Ruby had come from VA and all of us enjoyed yet another wonderful meal my sister Elizabeth had prepared. My niece Angela from Laos was there and it was great to hear about her life there.

If I don't get home soon I will have to buy new clothes. I'm finding it hard to close the buttons of those I packed for the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment